Choosing a Moving Company
Once you’ve found your dream home and you are ready to make the move the last thing you want to worry about is trouble with your moving company. By doing some research upfront you can save yourself a lot of heartache. Choose a reputable company and know your moving rights.
Here are a few things to look for when choosing a moving company.
- Choose a company directly, not through a brokerage website or a “Find A Mover” website.
- Check the background online by looking at the Better Business Bureau, Moving.org and review websites like Yelp.
- Have at least 3 or 4 companies that you want to talk with before making a decision. Don’t rely on an estimate over the phone. Have them come to your home and do a walk through so your estimate will be complete.
- Ensure the company is licensed and has a physical address.
- Receive all estimates and agreements in writing. Carefully review the details including the policies about pickup and delivery, stairs and if packing services are included.
- Other things to check for are:
o Will they be moving you or is a third party involved?
o Are the trucks they use permanently marked?
o Will you be sharing a truck with other customers?
o Do they provide references?
- Be sure not to sign any blank paperwork or documents you don’t understand.
- If you feel there are any red flags that come up during the process it’s okay to move on and choose someone else. Your peace of mind and possessions are too important to leave in the hands of someone who seems untrustworthy.