According to the National Fire Protection Association, Thanksgiving Day is the busiest day for home fires, of which the leading cause is cooking. Keep your holiday safe and happy this year by following these tips below.
- Stay in the kitchen when you're cooking. Don't leave food unattended.
- Keep children away from the stovetop - by at least 3 feet
- Wear short sleeves while cooking
- Have pot holders and kitchen towels sit away from heat sources
- Make sure the floor is clear from toys and pocketbooks
- Keep all lit candles above the reach of children and make sure they are blown out when the evening is over
- Test all smoke detectors and fire extinguishers
Follow these safety tips and keep your home and family happy this Thanksgiving!