Tips for Pet Owners
Here are a few tips to make the move easier on you and your furry friends.
- Bring moving boxes into your current home early. Allow your pets to adjust to the sight and smell of them.
- Keep pets in the room that will be packed up last so their environment is the last to change
- On moving day, keep pets in a crate or at a friends house while the moving van is being loaded
- Always transport your pets in your own personal vehicle and not the moving truck
- Once you arrive at your new home, don't let the pets run around unsupervised. Start them out in one room and then gradually introduce the rest of the house.
- Quickly put out familiar items such as a food bowl, toys, bed, and litter box.
- Try to layout their familiar items in places similar to where they were in your old house. For instance, the food bowl in the kitchen or the litter box in the hall bath.
- Be sure to update your pet's collars and ID tags with your new address as quickly as possible.
- Your pets will mimic your mood. If you stay calm, it will help them through this transition.
- Take time out from unpacking to play. Make the move a fun and positive experience!
Have you moved with pets? What tips or tricks worked for you?